MONDAY RECAP: COMMUNITY UPDATE
Fellow Columbus Crew SC fans: Welcome to the next edition of our Monday Recap. Last Monday, I had a plethora of updates involving the ongoing litigation. Due to the certain events that took place (motion to dismiss, City of Columbus Memo, and the question of constitutionality of the Modell Law), I will not discuss the case. This is simply because we need to wait to see what the courts have to say in regards to the latest motions set forth by both parties.
- Federico Higuain extends Columbus Crew SC contract through 2019. The 33 year old has been a staple in the attacking midfield for the Crew and has recently became a member of the 50-50 club (50 goals & 50 assists). He made his loyalty clear by adding “I signed this new deal as a player of Columbus Crew”. In terms of the potential move of the team, he said “No one knows what is going to happen. I have no control of that situation. I’m a player. I’m a father of three kids. I have to work. I’m glad to keep working here.” (1)
- Fill the Fre Happy Hour: Do you love the Columbus Crew? Are you eager to meet those that are dedicated to the team, the city? Great! Come out to Balboa (1312 Grandview Ave) this Wednesday (5/2) from 7pm-9pm for our happy hour. All are welcome, and no RSVP is needed! If you have difficulties finding parking, you can use the lot next to Balboa, or, use the parking lot behind The Avenue.
- The Ohio State University hires Brian Maisonneuve as men’s soccer head coach: Maisonneuve is a former Columbus Crew player.
- Community meeting involving potential new stadium: On May 3rd, PSV and local group MLS2ATX will hold a community meeting to provide information on the potential new stadium. Dave Greeley will not only attendant the event, but will lead the discussions between PSV and the Austin community. This meeting is open to the public, and its purpose is to communicate to Austin locals that building a stadium could be beneficial for the community. Essentially, it’s an opportunity for the public to ask questions and state how they feel about the proposal. However, looking at comments (posts) left by individuals on the announcement, not everyone seems as excited as PSV or the MLS would like.
- WIN! 2-1: Columbus Crew SC has finally turned the page, and got the much needed 3 points. Harrison Afful scored a rocket in the 27’, while new signing (and previously injured) Mike Grella scored a very composed game winning goal in the 83’. This is another game Columbus Crew SC dominates the shots column. This time, we come out with two in the back of the net. The next game is on 5/5, away at Seattle.
(1) Kennedy, Paul MLS Moves, SoccerAmerica 4/26/18